Friday, January 8, 2010

Million Miles in a Thousand Years - book review

A Million Miles in a Thousand Years by Donald Miller

I will admit that I had thoughts like this in the first half of this 248 page book:
"Yeah, this is the usual strong 'Donald Miller' book...he's forcing the humor a bit in places--to the point it needs
rim shots..."

But somewhere in the middle, this takes a decisive turn down "Strongly Impacting Lane." That is not to say that the first half is weak. I've read all his books and the first half of this one is in keeping with his prior works. But then it goes to a new more powerful and applicable place. (Interestingly, two of my friends who've read his works thought the same thing.)

In short, this book is about the process of Miller working with two filmmakers to make "Blue Like Jazz" into a movie. In the process, he learns that he's not living a very good story. In turn, the reader learns that he/she isn't living a very good story either.

I need to re-read this or perhaps need to figure out how to live this. Dare I say, this is one of those rare "everyone should read this" books. And oh how things might change if this book were a class in high schools across our country. Teens to "blue hairs:" this is for you.

I really don't think I'm over-selling or hyping this. This is the story of a man who has always been a great writer, writing about finally directing his life into good story--and fuels us to do the same.

It's perhaps his best work; and I say that without diminishing his prior books. This categorically stands apart from the rest of his catalogue. I would say I've never read a book like this one. If families read this...who knows...