Monday, February 2, 2009

The Faith -book review


The Faith what Christians believe, why they believe it, and why it matters. To my surprise I'm having a hard time putting this book down. The surprise is the author, Charles Colson. I've respected him and his incredible story, but I've been a bit put off with his radio show. (It's hit me as a bit too political or too dogmatic.)

But I'm learning that great speakers aren't always great authors and great authors aren't always great speakers. So although I haven't enjoyed his radio show or his presentations (seen him live twice) his book is another story.

His book is an interesting combination of personal story, cultural commentary and church creeds wrapped around painting a biblical worldview. In these times of churches trying to find what works today or tomorrow, he's trying to draw us to the core beliefs of our faith or "radical Christianity." He points out, "'Radical' is a good term; it means going back to the root." pg 29

I think the reason I'm so pulled in is that for the past year I've been impressed that so many problems Christians have are tied to an unbiblical view of the world, God, themselves or others. Our way of seeing the world has everything to do with how we'll choose to function and the expectations will have of God, the Church and others. Colson is trying to layout that biblical worldview in this book.

I'm only 74 pages in but I think this book would make for some great discussions and help a lot of us firm up our faith. It's a little heady at times, but not much. It's well written and compelling so far.


Book Money
Lately at the house we've finally employed a tip I heard from John Maxwell years ago: paying children to read books. Maxwell's father paid him to read books and he has done it with his own children. When people asked, "Why don't you pay your kids to take out the trash?" His dad would reply, "I don't want to train them to be trash men." ;-)

We told Meg & Slate we'll pay them $15 for reading a book and writing one page about it. We have to "OK" the book if they want to suggest one. We'll also make books available. The goal: show them that recreational reading/learning is good and good for you. Slate's working on Dungy's book and Meg's thinking about Blue Like Jazz.