Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The Retrun of the Prodigal Son -Henri Nouwein

I would not have thought a book about a man's (near) obsession with the painting by Rembrandt and the short Scripture verse would be of much interest. I would have been very wrong.

It is a short book (139 pgs). But the chronicle of Nouwen's search for the painting and his simultaneous inner search are very compelling, relatable, profound and full of great theology.

I am finding someone who shares his insecurities, that are also my own. I'm also finding a fresh, more accurate view of God. It seems over time, I subconsciously twist the view of God in my mind and create attributes that aren't truly there. Anybody with me?

Here's a piece I read this morning that woke me up:

"The question is not, 'How am I to find God?' but 'How am I to let myself be found by him?' The question is not, 'How am I to know God?' but 'How am I to let myself be known by God?' And, finally, the question is not 'How am I to love God?' but 'How am I to let myself be loved by God?'" pg 106

I'm finding this book rich and worthy of my revisiting so much underlined text. Could be a great book to read with a friend or small group.