Saturday, July 17, 2010

I love a unique gift

click pic to enlarge

My friend came to my front door yesterday morning, extended this to me and said in his stoic deliberate cadence,

"This is for you. Hang it up in your wood shop."

He who works with is HANDS is a laborer.
He who works with his hands and HEAD is a craftsman.
He who works with his hands, his head and his HEART is...
AN ARTIST.
-St. Francis of Assisi

He also threw in that it was handmade by _______ (excuse me, his relative's name didn't stick).

What a great way to start the day. Someone took the time to do this by hand. Someone thought that this somehow reflected who I am. And someone thought enough to frame it and deliver it by hand.

It sounds simple but the reality is that more often than not, what we're giving to friends, are the virtual "things" on Facebook. "Here's a cocktail for you." And friends pop over way to rarely. And too often gifts are not a reflection of the recipient, but rather reflect a social obligation.

Life is short. Friends who "get you" are invaluable. And nothing quite goes with French press coffee like a good friend on your porch with a thoughtful gift. Thanks Mike ;-)