Monday, August 16, 2010

Grass Roots Love

I notice things in our city given our economic climate; some things I can't change, some I can. I notice the abandoned houses. I don't know what happened, where the people are, why they've gone. But the high grass on the property tells me they've left.

It's going on in nearly every neighborhood. This is something I can change. Something you can change. Right now there are two houses with two little yards that our family is mowing. One I can see and the other is a block away. Our daughter Meghan is taking care of one of them.

I'm busy. You're busy. But I think we have 15-20 minutes to spare. So here's the challenge:

Mow a yard in your neighborhood that's out of control. Keep it mowed. Sure it's technically the bank's responsibility or the city will eventually cut it and bill someone that will never pay it. Or you and I could take care of our neighborhood. We can show our kids and neighbors that we care and that compassion is sometimes as simple as mowing a yard.

The next time you shake your head because a yard has gone to hell--maybe you could be the person to bring it back. That's the challenge.

Peace & grass clippings,
-Morgan