Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Google: Helping to Wrangle my Life--for Free



There is so much going on in my life. You? Just the other day Sandra and I were exchanging emails of our calendars' highlights. "This is nuts," I thought.

So I grabbed 2 hours from my day and moved all the data from my Outlook calendar into Google Calendar. Now Sandra can share my calendar and see it anytime she needs to from any computer.

Why Google calendar?

1) I can put different parts of my life in different colors. For me: brown = home; green = Oakbrook; blue = Slate's baseball. (I can add more categories anytime I choose.)

2) I can see/print/share just individual or collective categories anytime I choose with whomever I choose. You want to know when Slate's playing? I'll send you a link to just that!

3) Access it anywhere from any computer. They back it up so I'll never lose data. Did I mention it's FREE?


What and Why is iGoogle?

Sandra turned me onto this. By subscribing to iGoogle and setting it as my homepage, I can now keep track of all the blogs I follow in one place.

It will display the most recent 3 posts of each. It also displays a miniature version of my Google Calendar and will display a whole page view of it w/just 1 click.

I like all the available blogs--but having them all run into my email was getting annoying. Now just the blogs I want are in one simple place.

You can add all kinds of apps to iGoogle, but for me it's just blogs, weather and calendar. Simple.
Did I mention that iGoogle is free?

Do you feel scattered? Use technology to focus and wrangle in some of your loose ends. For free!