Sunday, October 26, 2008

Fireproof

Sandra & I just saw this Friday night in Kokomo. It's been playing here for 5 weeks and it was standing room only in the theater; we literally had to scoot in to make room.

In short I thought the movie was powerful. I can't think of a more realistic present day portrayal of marriage in the U.S. The issues were real, relevant and weren't solved in 5 minutes.

I'd heard some questionable comments about a small percentage of the acting, but I didn't find issue with it. No Oscar nominees here, but everyone was believable, realistic and several were strong.

As I thought about the acting afterward, it occurred to me that many of the film's characters were like normal people you'd meet in your own town--not like actors in films. In some small way that seemed more realistic to me.

Not to denigrate the acting in the least, but I think the star is the screenplay. Clearly this was put together by people who understand marriage; behaviors that get it off track, and the real tough struggles of putting one back on track.

It is a Christian film, but faith wasn't pushy and didn't hog the spotlight. Marriage issues and principles were really the focus and faith crept in around them, in poignant realistic ways.

This is a great movie for:
Couples who are in a healthy place.
Couples who are struggling.
Separated spouses.
Divorcees or anyone who wants to learn more about marriage.

The movie's website is full of info including resources couples and organizations can use, including the book that has a starring role in the film. One small group at Oakbrook has already ordered the group curriculum.

This seems to be a movie that is promoting itself. I haven't seen a trailer or commercial for it, but I've heard (and heard of) several strong personal endorsements to see it. After seeing it, I understand why. It's the kind of thing you want others to experience. Just this morning I suggested to someone to take his separated friend to see it.

I can't say I'm a guy who's always into things that have a Christian tie, including this company's prior film; but I found Fireproof to be profoundly powerful and moving. To anyone who says Christians don't compete in the mainstream very well, this film proves otherwise.