Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Dan in Old Country

Watched a couple of movies with the down time over the holidays. The first was Dan in Real Life with The Office's Steve Correll.I hate to refer to this as a romantic comedy since the phrase conjures up all kinds of cheesy schmaltzy cliche imagery; nevertheless, that is what it is. I really enjoyed it. I would call it a "smart romantic comedy." It wasn't predictable. The story was strong and the acting was A+.

Correll successfully got out from under his Michael Scott character and came off as a simple likable "guy next door," much the same way Will Ferrell did in Stranger than Fiction (highly recommend). He's a strong and compelling "every man."

The great Dianne Wiest played his mom & the strong John Mahoney played his dad. Great support by Juliette Binoche and Dane Cook plus the actresses who played Correll's daughters.

Dan in Real Life is well worth the DVD rental.

Watched No Country for Old Men last night. I am a big fan of the Coen brothers movies (Hudsucker Proxy, Raising Arizona, Fargo, O Brother Where art Thou?) but this one didn't do it for me.

The acting was phenomenal. Tommy Lee Jones, Josh Brolin, Woody Harrelson and Jarvier Bardem were flawlessly believable. The plot was interesting and unpredictable. The title was the crux of the movie but I didn't need all the darkness of 80% of the movie to make its point. More insight into Tommy Lee's character would have been welcome.

I will blame some of my lack of want for this movie on the state of our country right now. With the economy in the outhouse and real stories of Santa showing up at a house, shooting a little girl and burning down the house, it's harder for me to enjoy a movie like this or even The Dark Knight. I simply am finding little interest in watching things that parallel the dark underbelly of our culture right now. So perhaps in better times I might have enjoyed this movie more.

Take a pass on No Country for Old Men.