Thursday, June 10, 2010

Facebook Significance

I am usually one of the first to grimace at yet another piece of Facebook triviality or "poo" reference (although I'm guilty of the latter). But tonight I had a great IM with one of my FB friends whom I don't really know.

Here's the exchange with a changed name.

John:
Can I bother you for some religious advice?

Me:
shoot

John:
I went to Oakbrook 2 years ago for about 1 1/2 years...and stuff went bad in my life and I can't seem to not blame God for it! So I quit going.

Me:
Read the Bible much?

John:
Not since I quit going--I didn't even believe til my buddy turned me on to Oakbrook--but the year and a half I went there, I did read it some, but not a lot.

Me:
When I read the Bible I see a lot of bad stuff happening. I also notice that it's man who causes the bad stuff and not God. I notice the same thing in our lifetime.

John:
I am sure it is my fault just don't know how to reverse it so I blame God. Make sense?

Me:
Not really. That like, because stuff is going bad in my life, I'm going to blame the guy across the street.

John:
Never looked at it that way--that makes sense to me.

Me:
God shines light on things--then they make sense. Satan like us to be confused and think illogical things like "it's God's fault."

John:
Is there a book in the Bible to help me? I just feel lost.

Me:
Yes. Start with John. It's after Luke in the New Testament. I bet it will make sense. Then just keep reading from there. If something doesn't make sense, ask me--and I'll shine some light on it ;-)

John:
thanks

Me:
No problem John--I'm glad you asked me this tonight. I'll pray for you after I sign off, if that's ok?

John:
That's great I need all kinds of help lol.

Me:
I'll do it then bro. We can talk / IM later ;-)

John:
ok, thank you Morgan

(end)

That was by far the most profound Facebook exchange I've ever had. I was glad he IM'd me. And I will be praying for him. And I will be wondering who else is watching...as I fart around on Facebook...