Saturday, February 18, 2012

Occupy the Y: Change Happens Thru...


Humility.

I'm an American. Therefore I think I can do anything I set my mind to. I have American achiever genes, so if I just focus and channel my inner badass, there's nothing I cannot do.

On some level we all believe that. And this is pure crap.

Several months ago I pushed down my pride, and took a bite of a humility sandwich when I walked into Dr. Haendigas's office and confessed that I don't know how to lose weight. I confessed that in this area of my life I am anything but a badass.

Six weeks ago I pushed down some more pride (it gets easier, you know) when I walked into the YMCA with Dave and Chad and we collectively admitted to Nicole Peele that we needed her help.

Every day that I work out there's always a Local Schwarzenegger pushing weight like nobody's business. Or there's a Sandy McNulty racing next to me on the elliptical machine as I pant my way through my slow-to-moderate pace.

It's humbling to pedal half as fast and yet sweat and pant just as much. It's humbling struggling with minimal weights in the same room as the 5' 4" woman lifting more than her own weight over her head. Seriously.

Focusing on your challenges in the gym in the midst of people who are metaphorical miles ahead of you is humbling.

Everyday I willingly go to the Y because Dave, Chad and Nicole will be there and you will be wondering about my next blogpost. And in the company of this team, I am reminded that this not a journey I could do on my own. I need them. I could not do this alone. To realize my need for others is humility.

So what do you want do or change in your life? What new play is stirring in your heart? What do you hope changes between today and your funeral?

Change happens through humility. You can do it...but not alone. You need people who know what you do not. And you need some hombres; some great people to journey with you! In humility, YOU CAN DO IT!


True humility and fear of the LORD
      lead to riches, honor, and long life. 
Proverbs 22:4

Posts in this series:

The Tres Hombres are at the YMCA gasping for breath Mon-Fri 4-5pm.

If you want to follow us on the Twitters we're
@morgancafe
@GraphicsKing209 (Chad McCarter)
@DuBeeDuBeeDoo (Dave Dubois)
@peel_nicole (Nicole Peele)

Peace,
   Morgan of the Tres Hombres